Monday, January 28, 2013

Small town, USA

Hi, friends!

A few months ago, as fall was still stubbornly evading us in LA, I was lucky enough to head back east to celebrate my grandparents' 65th anniversary (65. YEARS.) in the cutest little farm town in America.

My mother, from whom I inherited my wanderlust, moved to California from the tiny town of Wango, Maryland (where the rest of her family still lives), when she was in her early 20s. Because of this, I've been lucky enough to travel back east at least once a year for most of my life. The atmosphere in this part of the states is totally different from California. For instance, anytime you pass someone driving on the back roads, they wave to you, either because they know you, they assume they know your family, or they're just friendly. I appreciate that.

This particular trip was especially farm-y as it involved a trip to my first-ever corn maze.

My beautiful Aunt Susan 

The Adkins Farm also involved a hay jump, which is literally jumping off a bale of hay onto more hay. Totally recommend it. 

And some other attractions, like this delightful slide. 


There was also a little store with all kinds of fall gourds and assorted farm-fresh merchandise.

Along with corn maze adventures, my mom, three aunts, and I all went wine tasting on another farm. 

I've never thought of wine in general as particularly suited to the eastern shore, but when was the last time this girl turned down a wine tasting? (Never, is the answer.)

Most of the time, though, was just spent at my grandparents' farm, soaking in time with family I don't get to see often. This is the picture-perfect back road my Aunt Joan's house is on. 

We flew in and out of DC, so we also spent a little time there--I love the colorful storefronts. 

And, finally, we dropped in on Lincoln to pay our respects. I'm a sucker for memorials. 

California friends, have you traveled back east? Which coast do you prefer? Would you like to live in a small town, or are you more suited to city life? I'm still trying to figure that out!

No comments:

Post a Comment