Sunday, December 4, 2011

The last night

The day has come that I've been denying will ever arrive basically since we got here. I meant to blog more about what I've been doing for the past couple weeks, but I've been so busy trying to enjoy every last second here that I haven't gotten around to it. Suffice to say living in Florence for three months has been nothing short of magical and these past couple weeks have been chock full of amazing food, laughter with some of my favorite people and beautiful sights in and out of Florence. Spending a day riding bikes in Lucca last weekend was one of my favorite days of the trip, climbing to the dome of the Duomo for sunset this week gave me one of the best views I've seen of my favorite city, and wine tasting with Pino, everyone's favorite panino maker, will always be one of my favorite memories.

This weekend has been full of goodbyes and last-minute things, which has been simultaneously wonderful and heartbreaking. From spending time at the lovely Christmas markets in front of Santa Croce and eating delicious German food to buying all the gifts and last minute purchases at San Lorenzo, it's been a good way to say goodbye to this place. We've had sad goodbyes with all the Italians we've come to know and see every day -- I actually started tearing up in Gusta Pizza today seeing how sad our favorite Gusta workers were to hear we were leaving. Packing all day has been draining and sad, and it's raining in Florence for almost the first time since we've been here. It's been a melancholy day at best, but I'm looking forward to one last night in my city, and then it's back to the people and places I love in California!

No comments:

Post a Comment