Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I'm a lucky girl

So, aside from traveling throughout Italy and Europe, I had a visitor of my own in Florence! Kyle came to see me for a little over a week around Halloween, and I had a fantastic time showing him around Florence and venturing to Siena. We hit most of my favorite spots, from Boboli Gardens to Gelateria alla Passera, and tried some new things I hadn't yet made it to, such as climbing the Duomo bell tower and walking up to Piazzale Michelangelo for sunset (we also tried to watch the sunset from the banks of the Arno but missed the sun actually setting...still a pretty view in the dark though!). 

View of the Ponte Vecchio while on the way to a delicious lunch

We explored Boboli Gardens, which is part of Pitti Palace, and found some new places I hadn't yet discovered. This park is at the top of the gardens and features the beautiful view below.

Overlooking Florence and Tuscan hills (hard to see here) as well as the back of the palace

Ran into several cool statues I hadn't seen before, and found this handsome man hanging out in front of this giant bust of an unknown figure.

Gorgeous fall colors throughout the gardens

View of the Arno from Piazzale Michelangelo shortly before sunset.

Overlooking the city center. 

Stunning sunset

And then Halloween...as per usual, I threw together a costume the night of. This year, I went with my newest favorite thing in life: Nutella. My roommate drew my sign and Kyle carried around a giant spoon. Easiest and most delicious costume ever.

A gypsy, nerd, garden of Eden, Ace Ventura, Nutella, and white swan

LOVED eating Nutella all night

In Piazza della Signoria with my beloved roommates

A few days later AIFS took us on a gorgeous walk up to San Miniato. This picture is overlooking the graveyard of the church, which overlooks the city.

His last weekend here we went to Siena. This is in the Piazza del Campo, where we ate lunch.

The Duomo in Siena is stunning both outside...

...and inside. One of my favorite churches I've seen thus far in Italy.

Got a bit lost trying to make our way back to the train station, but happened upon this lovely view. 

The next day, we climbed the bell tower of the Duomo after finally checking out the inside. The views were definitely worth the 414 steps to the top. All in all, it was a week full of views of Florence.

The actual dome seen from eye-level.

We hung out with Dante on Kyle's last night here.

Can you tell which is the real Dante?

On the Ponte Vecchio the night before he left. Can't believe how lucky I am to have spent a week in Italy with this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment