Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Quilling





All images pictured by iron maiden art.


While waiting for my rice to cook, I decided to spend a little time on one of my favorite sites: StumbleUpon. I was first introduced to this site by a student in the writing center (needless to say, this did not turn out to be one of my more productive tutoring sessions). Since then, it's proved to be one of my favorite ways to procrastinate learn more about the world around me. It sometimes takes a few clicks to find something interesting, and I regret to say that my short attention span often leads me to immediately click away when I see an article long enough to require scrolling down.

However, my first click today led me to this fascinating blog entry. The pictures above are of the art technique of quilling, which involves creating any imaginable 3-D picture by rolling paper with a special tool. I was surprised to find out this technique has been around since the Renaissance, and after a quick Google search, I discovered that it is still relatively prevalent today with a myriad of websites devoted to quilling.

The art that results from quilling is unique and absolutely gorgeous. The creations, as pictured above, can be incredibly intricate, but there are also quilling sets available for beginners that come with tools and patterns to follow. Knowing my lack of patience with anything crafty, it's highly doubtful that I'll ever try this myself, but maybe someday in the far away land of free time that college students can only dream of, I'll get a chance to give it a try. Regardless of if I ever create my own, quilling opens up a whole new avenue of decorating for furniture, walls, invitations, and just about anything else you can think of to adorn with colorful paper creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment